Sunday, August 15, 2010

Gifts of the Heart

We are gifted everyday with different presents. Some are more subtle than others. Today I was gifted with a look. I almost missed it being caught up in the business of everyday life. Busy getting everything done to start the week tomorrow. Checking emails, doing laundry, vacuuming and reviewing the schedule for the week. The dogs were busy trying to keep up with all that I was doing watching me running from room to room. I think I was starting to give Takla, my Lhasa, a headache so she headed upstairs to get some quiet. Maggie, my one Aussie, was busy working on a bone and Addison, my other Aussie, was lying on the bed half dozing off to sleep. Now Maggie I should tell you that is blind and Addison is deaf. Addison is starting to look her age but still has a lot of life left in her, Her eyes and nose bear the signs of aging with the white fur filling in a once black face. For some reason her eyes seem smaller to me now.

I had just gotten almost everything done and was getting ready to settle in to finish up some other writings I was doing and was gathering my things to move into the livingroom with my computer. I dimmed the lights down for Addison whose eyes were struggling to stay awake, it was in that moment she lifted her head and I could feel that heart connection hit my heart as our eyes met. In my rush to complete my tasks for the day I almost missed that special moment. She drew me to her with that look of love. She has been through so much with me, as has Maggie. They have seen me at my best and at my worst. They hold the secrets I have told them and love me unconditionally. It was in that moment with Addison that my heart melted and I laid down on the bed with her. I thanked her for her gift of love and told her that Mommy had picked her first and that made her even that much more special. She is the first dog that was all mine.

She laid her head back down and closed her eyes as I kissed her forehead. There was an ever so slight smile on her face as she drifted off into her dreamland. It is a precious memory that I had to share here. It made me think how many other moments have I missed with my girls. I have made a mental note to try and stay more present in the moment just as my dogs do, just as all animals do. Thank you Addison for the gift of love today, Mommy loves you very much. Don't miss those precious moments for these are the things life is made of not the lists or the endless things that seem important at the time. I promised each of them I would do better and hope that they would be proud of me because I have nothing but love for each one of them.

Happy Trails,
Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment