Saturday, January 29, 2011

Being in Your Presence

As I lay here tonight with you I am reminded of just how precious life is. You are so warm as we snuggle deep within the sheets. Your hair is soft. I lay my head upon your chest and listen to the rhythmic breathing. At once our breathing is in sync with one another, inhaling and exhaling the breath of life. In this moment in time we are both breathing the same sweet air together. Your breath is warm and smells a smell only a mother could love. I can hear your heartbeat and automatically begin to count them. I want to hear them forever. As I throw my arm around you, you move ever so slightly from your slumbered sleep. Cracking open just one eye to make sure I haven't left you and that you are really feeling me beside you. I whisper in your ear, "I am still here and will never leave you."

We have been through so much you and me. They could write volumes about our relationship, who knows maybe someday they will. I can almost see the images in your mind come to life as you lay sound asleep in our bed. I think of these as days and nights that I need to cling to to have my sanity remain with me. I can get consumed with he amount of emotions I am feeling right now. I didn't know one being could make me feel how you make me feel. I don't ever want to forget it.

The moonlight hits your face and I can see the peace that resides in your face. I question whether you are still here or not, but you must be because I feel the heat from your body. So many people will miss this type of connection. For what ever reason they will never the feel the love I have felt for you and the love you have felt for me. For that they have lost so much. If this was to be my only relationship that ever worked then I could not have picked a better partner! You are my heart and I know you feel the same way.

As I stroke you I feel you relax into that place where anything is possible. I wonder if you still remember those hiking trips we used to take or the time you were slipping and sliding all over the place running after this little baby bunny that you felt needed saving. I hope you have those good memories and replay them in your dreams. I know that I do. You are snoring now and I have to smile, it is one more thing that I will miss about you.

The cancer came too early for you my friend, my best friend! There will be no other like you for me again. As much as I know you are leaving me I find comfort in the remaining time I have to hold you in m arms. Not many people have what you and I have, the true unconditional love. I fell in love with you the first day I saw you. You were running like a wild man all over the place, a carefree spirit. You gave me all that I needed to make this life of mine and ours work. People may or may not understand it but I know you and I do and that is all hat matters. We will always be in love with each other.

So tomorrow is the day I say farewell to you my companion in life. Your journey will not be long. All your brothers and sisters wait for you. I will see you again when my turn comes, whenever that is. So I shall warm my body next to yours tonight for one last time before we part. I don't like that your life is so much shorter than mine, but then any amount of time would not be long enough time for me. Our love affair was one to be envied and looked at as to how it should be. Just being in your presence uplifted me everyday.

You have been the best dog I have ever had the privilege of sharing my life with. You shall always remain in my heart forever. until we meet again. I shall stay with you tomorrow as you cross over the bridge. My hand shall never leave your paw. For tonight though it is just about us and the state of just being.

Happy Trails,

No comments:

Post a Comment