Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Celebrity Endorsement

I am not big on running out and buying something just because a celebrity recommended it. As a matter of fact I will be more likely to stay away from it just because they have. There are however those few products that celebrities endorse that actually are good for you! Bottom line is that you need to do the research on your own to see if it is good. Which brings me to two different celebrities and their endorsements.

Working in a natural pet food store over the past few years has made me read labels and actually understand what is in my pets food I am feeding. We get people in the store all the time asking about this food or that food if it's any good etc. Over the past couple months people have been asking about two specifically, Halo Pet Products and Rachel Ray's new line of pet food. Ellen DeGeneres promotes the Halo line of pet products. I have done my research and love the Halo products! Especially animals that have kidney issues do really well with their canned food. Unfortunately I don't think Rachel Ray did as much research on the product content on the items she is endorsing.

I would like to thank and commend Rachel for putting her name on products for pets to help raise awareness of good nutrition for our pets. Nutrition is so important in keeping our pets healthy. The only problem with the pet food she is endorsing is that the the food contains the following ingredients:Corn Meal (no nutritional value: filler), Soybean Meal (no nutritional value: filler), Animal Fat (where is the animal fat rendered from)?(Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Corn Gluten Meal (again corn is listed no nutritional value). Corn and grains can be a huge allergen for a lot of dogs or cats.

My hope is that Rachel will have an opportunity to ask questions and do her OWN research about ALL the ingredients in the product that carries her name. Part of the reason our pets are not living as long as they should is due in part to the food we are feeding them. Food with little or no nutritional value. Yes meat is the first ingredient listed but throwing in those other things mentioned above just brought the food down a few notches as far a being a food I would feed my dog or even recommend to anyone. It would be great if Rachael continued to promote the good nutritional value of pet food but she has got to understand what exactly is going into the food before she puts her name on it.

I have been working with pet owners over the past 5 years on good nutrition for their pets so I understand what is good for them and what they really should be avoiding. Everyone should read the book"Food Pets Die For" by Ann Martin. There is a lot of really good information there and her own personal journey to understand why her pets died at such a young age. Take the time and do the research, your pets will be glad you did!

Happy Trails,
Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment