Monday, August 10, 2009

Bubba the Fish

I must tell you about this most amazing fish named Bubba. I originally got Bubba when he was just a baby Oscar fish. I had him in a tank with a couple other fish that he apparently got along with. Oscars for the most part are hunter fish and pretty much kill what ever lives in the tank with them. There are a few fish they can coexist with and I guess I had the right ones. It was interesting to see Bubba grow and form his own personality. Yes fish have personality! Unfortunately most of the fish in the tank with him were a lot older and they ended up passing away one by one until Bubba had the tank all to himself. It was probably a good thing as Bubba now took up most of the tank.

The tank was situated in one of the other rooms but still in a place where he could see me while watching TV in another room. When I say he had personality I mean it! I can tell you he was like "Messy Marvin" in the fact that he didn't like anything neat and orderly in his tank. Every once and a while I had to clean the tank out and get it all sparkling clean, I would set his little plants back upright and the little lighthouse fixture I had in his tank. It never failed about an hour after I had all that done and had gently placed him back in the water he would immediately go to town knocking things over and pulling the plants from their upright rooted position. He wasn't happy unless things were wildly strewn all over the tank.

Thre were nights when he wanted my attention and made that fact known by thrashing about the tank and knocking the floating thermometer up against the side of the glass. The knocking would be so loud and constant he wouldn't stop until I got up and went over to the tank. Many nights we just sat there and communicated. He was an interesting character. He really liked the ladies and when ever one of my girlfriends would come into the house he would splash around to get their attention. He was such a ladies man!

There came a point where he was just getting too big for his tank and so I had to find another home for him. A woman I knew had a huge 8 foot tank and agreed to take him. I explained to him he was going to a place where he could see lots of ladies all the time! He was very excited about that and was looking forward to the new digs! A few months after he was moved and I went to see him. He was in great spirits and was very happy to see me. I also noted that he kept his new tank just as messy as the old one. I haven't been back to check up on him in a while. Something tells me wherever he is he is with the ladies.

So I am here to tell you fish do have personality! A very good friend of mine has a beautiful Koi pond. Each and every one of the fish have names and very different personalities. They each respond to her differently. She is learning to listen to them and understand the messages they bring to her. It is awesome to watch.

I have a new tank now and two new fish, Amos and Andy. They are Black Moors and they each have different personalities. Amos is much more of the go getter and Andy is more refined and laid back. So you see everything can communicate with us if we take the time to be quiet and listen. Heck, have you ever seen a cat in front of a fish bowl? You may think the cat wants to eat the fish, and I am sure some do, but there is a communication that happens between them. I am sure there is a communication between the animals in your home. As I am told quite often in my home, Sssshhhhhhhh, listen, do you hear it? "It's cookie time"! Gotta go!

Happy Trails,
Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment