Sunday, August 9, 2009

Teaching the Teacher

All of us are teachers in one way or another. Whether we formally went to school to teach others or have learned some of life’s lessons and have passed them on to others. Every day we teach someone new something they may not have thought about or even imagined. Every day I try to share with others about animals and who they are. It can be talking about the importance of good nutrition, the different holistic healing modalities available to animals or helping someone realize their animal companion actually has language all their own that they can learn.

It is in looking at them a little differently that we can begin to see the teachings and lessons they bring to our lives. They are our teachers in fur. In learning more about them and making a deeper connection with them we are actually connecting to something much deeper in ourselves. It is that connection to the universe. Many times our animal companions are the only true connection we feel in life. We may feel disconnected from ourselves, our friends, our family or world as a whole. Our only connection may be to our animal companion. They keep our hearts open to love.

Animals teach us in unconditional ways and in unconventional ways. Whether it is the goofy dog who is here to be the clown and lighten us up or it is the cat that sits and encourages us to be meditative with them to find that inner peace. They are unique beings unto themselves. They can encourage us to live in the moment and connect with nature. There are also those animals that have come from horrific backgrounds that are still here and teaching us how to take baby steps and have patience with not only them but ourselves.

I have become a teacher because of the animals in my life just as many of you have. Let them continue to teach you as you will and do teaching others who they are. I can tell you the animals are grateful and if you don’t believe me ask your animal companion.

There are several variations on this but one of my favorite quotes is, “Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am”. As I sit here and look at my dogs now I thank them for making me a better person and for continuing to have patience with me as I sit in their classroom, the classroom of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment