Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Healing Energy

I would like to talk a little bit about he benefits of energy work for our animal companions. Most people are familiar with the term Reiki. Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one's "life force energy" is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy. These principles apply to both us and our animal companions. Healing Touch for Animals is a wonderful modality I have added to my practice. After almost two years of classes I became a certified Healing Touch for Animals Practitioner. In working with traditional veterinary care and HTA techniques, many animals have recovered quicker from ailments, injuries, behavioral issues and have improved their overall well being. All energy work is based in science. There is an actual physiological response to the energy work.

All animals and people benefit from having energetic work done on them. I know the last foster I had in my care benefited greatly from HTA. She was a puppy mill dog from Lancaster, PA. She spent 7 years in a crate pumping puppies out. She was so traumatized she shook at the drop of a piece of paper. She didn’t know what the inside of a house was so she always hid in the nearest corner of a room. It was through providing her with a loving home, a good diet, massage and energy work that she became about 80% dog in 9 months. She even became adoptable! She was appreciative after every session.

When looking for alternative ways to deal with behavior issues or health issues with our animal companions consider energy work as a compliment to current treatments. I often suggest to my clients that they themselves experience an energy session just to see what it is their animal will feel. Generally once they go the first time they go back again. We are surrounded by energy every day, some good and some not so good. We then bring that energy home to our pets and because they are energy sponges they soak up it up from us.

I can say that 80% of the animals I see also share the same disease or neurosis as their owner. Be aware of the energy you bring into your home. I know if I come home in a chaotic state it is not too long after that that my dogs begin to react to that energy and get all hyped out. On the other hand when I meditate I put on soothing music and relax. Within 5 minutes of the music starting my dogs are conked out at my feet, calm and relaxed.

Do you have a pet that would benefit from energy work? I always encourage people to look for alternative ways to help keep their pets healthy and well. If you have any questions about HTA and what it may be able to do for your pet please email me at sherry@spiritpaws.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment